Showing posts from July, 2008

Ancilliary Probate in Iowa - Out of State Resident

If a non-Iowa resident dies while owning property in the state of Iowa (or other states for that matter) will need to go through a process called "ancillary estate administration". It is necessary to have the probate proceedings started in the state where the decedent resided (called domicillary probate). Once a personal representative is appointed, certified copies of those pleadings are filed in Iowa, along with a Petition, Court Officer's Oath, confidential information form and Designation of Attorney. Notice is published and the probate process follows the typical probate administration as when an Iowa resident's estate is probated. While it is not necessary to have an attorney, a qualified attorney can be helpful in providing direction and necessary forms for the administration.